IT'S SUNNY TODAY! It's still effing cold, but the sun is out! I was drafting on the computer when I noticed that the light hitting my glass of juice was making some beautiful patterns on the parquet floor. I ran to get my secret stock of glass mugs I hid in the back of my dresser so I wouldn't miss the opportunity.
What's that? Oh, why do I have a secret stock of glass mugs hidden away? It's very logical, actually. I absolutely love the aesthetic of glass. I love glass containers. I save all the glass products we go through, from pickle jars to syrup bottles. Sometimes I find a new use for them, like the Q-tips that live in an old salsa can or the sugar that's in a cleaned-out tomato sauce jar (sorry I don't make my own, Auntie Ann!). Most of the time I stick them in a drawer in the studio.
Last month I became obsessed with the image of clear glass mugs for all the hot tea I drink. Right now we've got dull old white mugs from my first apartment and they're starting to look a little grimy...because they're white and we drink a lot of tea. I'm not materialistic in any sense, but I do appreciate simplistic beauty and little things like that make me happy. I didn't want to buy the mugs impulsively, so I decided to wait until I was having a horrible day, and buy them to cheer myself up, either as an alternative to (or maybe in addition to?) some ice cream. I told C my plan and he raised a good question of what would happen if I went to buy them and I couldn't find them. Would my day get worse?
I wasn't about to let that happen, so I checked to see if they were in stock in my favorite dishware store, Fishs Eddy. They were! I told the saleswoman that I was just making sure they were there and I wasn't going to purchase them that day, I was going to come back and purchase them when I was having a really bad day. She replied the four mugs on the shelf were surplus items and they were not going to be restocked once they were sold.
I said "But today I'm having a good day!"
And she said "Maybe you can buy them now, and hide them until you have a bad day."
Well, I couldn't argue with that. I purchased them at $2.50 apiece and got home and stuck them in a drawer right away and left them there until today. Now that I've used them in my photographic experiments, I'm going to wrap them right back up and hide them again.
Because today is also a good day. It's sunny!!

No comments:
Post a Comment